3/4 cup risotto style rice (Arborio) 2 cup low salt chicken broth a few strands of saffron (optional) 2 Tbsp unsalted butter 1 Tbsp olive oil 2 leeks, cut crosswise 1 clove garlic 1/4 cup chopped pancetta (can substitute bacon) 1/3 cup mushrooms, chopped 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional, but if not using increase chicken stock by 1/4 cup) 1/2 cup chopped turkey 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese chopped parsley as a garnish
Instructions 1. Warm chicken stock in a medium pot until warmed. Remove 1/4 cup and add the saffron strands, the colour should turn a bright yellow. Don’t skip this step, its important to infuse the liquid with the saffron or you won’t get that bright colour and great flavour.
2. Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil & 1 Tbsp of the butter, when the butter stops foaming add the leeks, sauté until soft but not brown about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and stir until you can smell the garlic about 1 minute.
3. Add pancetta & mushrooms. sauté until mushrooms are golden brown and have given up their liquid about 5 minutes.
4. Add the arborio rice and stir constantly until the rice turns a blond colour, you should hear a bit of a popping sound as the rice begins to toast. Add the white wine and stir until combined.
5. Begin adding the warmed broth & the saffron infused broth 1/2 cup at a time and stir after each addition until the liquid is absorbed. This should take 20-25 minutes. The rice should be creamy and when you bite into the rice it should be al denté.
6. Add turkey, parmesan cheese and the remaining 1Tbsp of butter. Stir to combine, the heat of the rice will warm the turkey.